Monday, February 25, 2013

What the Academy got wrong


If I had my say this is how the Oscars would have gone down.

  1. We'll start with Best Animated Film. If it were up to me Tim Burton's Frankenweenie would have one best animated feature. 

This movie was so good! It was a heartwarming little tale about a boys deep connection with his dog, who doesn't love that!? What's most appealing about this movie is it's many references to some of the greatest and oldest horror films of all time. Frankenweenie is also a stop motion film which is always so interesting and truly a work of art. I loved Brave, but Frankenweenie was better.

2. Best Supporting Actor: Robert De Niro. Silver Linings Playbook was my favorite movie to come out this year and the main reason why? The actors, there wasn't a single performance in the movie that didn't wow me and obviously I'm not the only one to think this because Jacki Weaver, Robert De Niro, Bradley Cooper, and Jennifer Lawrence all received nominations. De Niro plays Bradley Coopers obsessive compulsive father, who lost his job and has taken up betting on various sports games. De Niro gave me both laughs and tears and definitely deserved an Oscar last night

3. Best Supporting Actress: Helen Hunt from the sessions. She was marvelous, and surprisingly attractive for a 50 year old... Her character was the sex therapist for a man who lives in an iron lung, and without spoiling this great and underrated film I will just say that she was far better than Anne Hathaway who was only in Les Mis for about 45 minutes, and that everyone should go see The Sessions.

4. Going off of #3 I will say that John Hawkes deserved a nomination for best actor. I agree with the Academy on Daniel Day Lewis but Hawkes' performance was nothing short of enchanting, he was hilarious while accurately portraying a man struggling with polio. If Tom Hanks can win an Academy Award for Forrest Gump then John Hawkes could at least receive a nomination.

For the most part I thought that the Academy did a pretty good job, I would have liked to see The Hobbit walk away with something and the fact that the majority of the Academy panel is older white males is very unfair for a beautiful movie like Beasts of the Southern Wild, which came away with no awards. 

And I know I said that Silver Linings Playbook was my favorite film of the year but there are flaws that I can see and accept just because I love it so much. Argo is a fantastic movie and was an obvious choice for best picture. 

Thanks for reading, stay cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment